Due to the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) throughout Australia and the resulting restrictions imposed by the Federal and State governments, St Joseph’s Church has been temporarily closed until further notice. We will keep you up to date any developments and please stay safe.
St Joseph’s Church was the second Catholic Church to be built in Coleraine.
Located south of the Whyte and Read Streets’ intersection, the church complex area covers around 3/4 of a hectare.
St Joseph’s Church Catholic Parish & Mass Times, Coleraine VIC
The current St Joseph’s Church was built in 1889, reflecting a Gothic revival style featuring cement and red bricks. The church was designed by Merino’s H. Kohn, and construction was overseen by George Rowe with the help of local tradespeople.
St Joseph’s Church and the numerous historically significant aspects found in the complex are important to the town of Coleraine because it is a reflection of the growth of Catholicism.
Additionally, the complex is socially significant because it speaks of the time when Catholics first settled into the area back in the mid-19th century.
Architecturally speaking, the Gothic revival style expresses the true religious values of the churchgoers, as well as its beautiful memorials.